Friday, 5 October 2012

31 Days Of Horror - Day 5: House (2008)

Pin It now!

In rural Alabama, two couples find themselves in a fight for survival. Running from a maniac bent on killing them.

Now before anyone gets confused, no this isn't the 1986 comedy/horror film starring William Katt and George Wendt, yes they have the same name but they're two completely different films. It amazes me how many people get the two mixed up.



This movie is a book-to-screen adaptation, unfortunately I haven't read the book written by authors Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker so I can't make any observations from that point but I can still review it as a stand alone film. The main reason I wanted to watch this film was when I saw the poster, I remember thinking "Two of my favourite actors, Bill Moseley and Michael Madsen, in the same film?! I gotta see this!"

The addition of Leslie Easterbrook is just icing on the cake, yes we all remember her as the busty hard-nut from the "Police Academy" franchise but she's been doing some amazing work over the last few years in the Horror genre. Luckily they all put in a stellar performance and don't disappoint at all, I hope Leslie Easterbrook carries on doing more Horror films, she plays a great crazy older lady.



It's a very dark feature that draws you in and keeps hold of  your attention. Director Robby Henson did a great job here, it's hard to think why he hasn't done much more work (to this day "House" was his last full length feature film).

My only problem with the film was the ending, I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it but I felt they could have done something so much better, it just seemed like a cop-out twist that we've seen a million times. Apart from that I loved it, I just hate to see a great film have a bad ending, it can ruin your entire perspective of the film.



"House" is one of those films that seemed to get released and no-one knew about it, which is a shame because with just a bit of marketing it could and should have had a bigger audience. It has grown a fan base over time but it deserves more.

If you want to see the "House" trailer then just click on the video below:


No comments:

Post a Comment