Friday, 28 June 2013

Horror Review: The Loved Ones (2012)

Pin It now!

When Brent turns down his classmate Lola's invitation to the prom, she concocts a wildly violent plan for revenge.

I've always had a soft spot for Australian Horror films, I can't really explain why but I just get drawn towards them.


Word of this film had been going around since 2009 but for reasons unknown it only got a limited release outside of Australia, I was so excited when I finally got to watch it as I'd been keeping tabs on it since I saw the trailer.

We are introduced to a group of high school kids getting ready for the big prom, problem is that one of the girls wants to go with a boy who's already in a relationship and duly turns her down. This sets us up for the rest of the film and what's to come.


Now I won't say anything else about the plot as I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it but what I will say is that this is not a film for the squeamish or faint of heart, The films visuals are shocking and very realistic that you may find yourself squirming in your seat.

The cast do an absolutely fantastic job of bringing the characters to life, the stand out star though is Robin McLeavy who plays our villain 'Lola'. Apparently Director Sean Byrne made McLeavy prepare for the role by researching the serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, as well as watching "Misery", "Natural Born Killers" and the works of Quentin Tarantino. Lets just say it really did pay off.


"The Loved Ones" is a truly fantastic film and I very highly recommend it, just remember that if you're squeamish you may want to keep hold of a pillow to hide behind.


If you want to see "The Loved Ones" trailer then just click on the video below:

No comments:

Post a Comment