Monday, 19 August 2013

My Main Problem With The Horror Genre

Pin It now!

As much as I love my Horror genre I have one huge problem with it right now.

If you look up the word 'Horror' in a dictionary it states: 


Horror - an extremely strong feeling of fear and shock, or the frightening and shocking character of something.


Sounds great doesn't it, it's that statement that makes you think of the genre we love and the films we adore. But let's be honest for a minute here, when was the last time you truly felt fear, shock or fright whilst watching a Horror film? It's been awhile hasn't it.

I will admit I've felt a bit of shock but I defy it more as disgust than anything, something that made me cringe a little at what I saw. Even then I can only think of a couple of films such as "Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence" and "A Serbian Film", when you take into account the amount of films that are released each year it's a very small percentage.


My problem is that I find a-lot of modern Horror films somewhat watered down. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they're all bad, I just find that in today's genre that a-lot of the releases are what's called 'Popcorn Horror', sure it's entertaining but it's nothing scary.

Maybe it's me, maybe I'm too desensitized to it all but I find it truly hard to be frightened whilst watching a film. I find it's mainly due to stories and characters being so predictable and unoriginal, sort of a been there, seen that situation.



Even Horror maestro Clive Barker himself has stated:

"Most 'Horror' movies nowadays aren't horror movies. They don't strike me as being horrific. That's why I am very careful when using the word 'Horror' to describe something."

People I know who don't really watch Horror films, when I ask them what they thought of the recent ones they have watched they usually all say the same thing - "It was okay, but it wasn't really scary"


This is why I find myself watching a-lot of indie Horror films, yes it can be very low budget and amateurish but it's people trying to do something new and original and that strikes a chord with me.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. I often find myself on Netflix watching films from the 1960s and 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame you and I know you're not the only one.

    ReplyDelete