Monday, 6 June 2016

Jason Voorhees To Get A New Origin Story

Pin It now!

Jason Voorhees, a legendary character in the Horror genre.


The Voorhees origin story is iconic in it's own right, after twelve films and the story being told over and over it's burned into the memories of fans.


So to my surprise and fans worldwide, news came out recently of a new origins story being done for the new film that's been talked about so much over the last couple of years.

I was pretty much shocked by this news, I know they said the wanted to try and take the franchise in a new direction but I didn't think that meant something this drastic.



The rumours had been things such as a found footage film or one that was set in a snowy winter environment, those I could deal with.

It was then reported that writer Aaron Guzikowski would write the script for Paramounts "Friday the 13th" reboot after David Bruckner departed.


Unfortunately Platinum Dunes still hold the rights to the franchise and it's co-founder Brad Fuller was interviewed about the newest installment in the series stating:

“Aaron’s story has great characters. You kind of have to understand Jason Voorhees, so we go back and we kind of started over and work our way forward”.

When asked to clarify it was an origin story, he stated it will be:

“Origin-ish, but it’s an origin that no one has seen before. Obviously Pamela’s there, but it’s a little bit different from what you’ve seen before”.


Now for those of you who don't know Platinum Dunes is a company founded by Brad Fuller and Michael Bay (both will be serving as executive producers as usual), they're the ones responsible for the last "Friday The 13th" and other Horror remakes such as "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "The Amityville Horror" and "A Nightmare On Elm Street". So think of that what you will.

It's also come out that this new film will show Jason’s father 'Elias Voorhees', who's never appeared on film but has featured in the "Friday The 13th" comic series and the novel "Jason Lives", I won't give away the details of any of it incase you haven't read any of them and I don't want to spoil it for you


Whilst I'm fine with this decision in the world of comics and books I'm just not comfortable with this being done on film. I've always loved that mystery part in the films and that a big gaping hole was left in the story for fans to theorise about. 

I know I'll end up watching this reboot as I'm a huge Voorhees fan and my curiosity will get the better of me. I just don't think it's going to satisfy long time fans of the films, I mean, do you remember the last film?!


So, what do you think of the plans to introduce a different origin story? I'd love to hear your opinions on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment